Friday, September 5, 2008

Freak Flag Friday - intro & the Womb-Smiter

I've been thinking about doing this series for a while now. Let me explain. I'm going to be leaving my social work job in exactly 15 days to be a stay-at-home-momma. This field of work has practically defined me for the better part of my adulthood. My social work positions over the past 9 years have provided me with stories galore. Stories you wouldn't believe. Stories you won't want to believe. Stories that I really don't want to forget. Oh, I assure you that there have been many touching and beautiful moments, but I'm only going to be writing about the over-the-top out-of-control (usually hilarious) moments each and every Friday. Every story has one common denominator: someone felt the need to fly their freak flag proudly!

I've already written about the burrito escapade, which you can read about here.

Who's flying the Freak Flag this week? The Womb-Smiter

While living in Atlanta I worked as a foster home recruiter and trainer for a therapeutic foster care agency. "Therapeutic" means that the children that we place in our foster homes were not your sweet little newborns. Typically they are older children who have experienced significant abuse and neglect, which means that they are likely to have learned negative behaviors as a means of survival. "Like back talking" you ask? Um, no. Like poo smearing. 24/7. Or inappropriately touching other children in the home, if ya' get my drift. Big stuff.

My job was to train the classes of prospective foster parents, and help them to decide if doing this type of foster care would be right for them. Obviously you want people who are mentally stable. Who know how to handle children. Who are patient and kind. Who at least have put their freak flag at half mast for the sake of appearances. The class is called a "mutual selection" process, meaning that they can select to leave at any time if they feel it isn't right for them, or I as the leader can select them to leave the class if I feel they are not appropriate candidates.

Enter Mrs. Peach (names changed to protect the freak-flag fliers). She seems like the perfectly groomed Southern grandmother in her late 50's, who wants to love a child out of their negative behaviors. Frosted pink lipstick - check. A different Vera Bradley bag to match each outfit - check. Big hair that I can't discern if it is a wig or real hair - check. Everything down to the comfortable chair is labeled as a blessing - check. She was adamant that she hoped to adopt and would settle for nothing less. There was always something about Mrs. Peach that made me slightly uncomfortable, as if she was always attempting to manipulate the flow of the class, or the way that she always waited until I was alone to talk with me as I cleaned up.

One afternoon she began talking about her grandchildren. Apparently they were in the foster care system and she was not allowed to get custody of them, so eventually they were adopted by an unrelated family. Strange. Then she disclosed that she wasn't allowed to see the children, but she had no idea why this was the case. Really? She also said that when she found children to adopt, she would force them to change their first names to the names of her grandchildren that she missed so much. Whoa! She wanted her foster children to be the same ages as her grandchildren and hopefully look similar. Creepy. This isn't Mickey D's lady, we don't pick them up at the 2nd window!

When she returned the next week I knew that we had some serious issues to discuss. I was leaning towards selecting her out due to her obviously unresolved issues about the grandchildren, but maybe a talk would help to clarify her situation? I waited until Mrs. Peach and I were the last ones in the building. I took the opportunity to discuss my concerns, starting out by saying that she obviously was still very hurt about the situation with the grandkids. SHE. WENT. BERSERK! Attention readers: The Freak Flag was officially flying high, no longer at half mast! She said that she always got what she wanted. Her case in point? The fact that she had stalked her grandchildren's' adoptive family, broke into their vacation home while they were staying there, and told the kids to start packing up they were going with grandma. She snuck out with the kids and faced abduction charges! Oh, and did I mention that she brought a gun to this abduction? Then she brought God into it. I was going to hell because He wanted her to "replace" her grandchildren and I was standing in the way of destiny. She was going to become a certified foster parent "no matter what it takes".

Now I've had many uncomfortable conversations in which I encouraged people to hold up on the classes. I've asked couples to continue working through their grief related to infertility before pursuing our difficult and emotionally draining level of foster care. I've had to tell people that their home is too dirty. I've even confronted a registered sex offender after I got his background check back. But nothing compared to this level of discomfort. I actually felt afraid and was mentally calculating if I could reach the exit if necessary, or use her big wig/hair against her as a weapon.

Finally I made a break for it, slid past her and started walking out the front door, hoping she would follow me on her rant. Worked like a charm. But not before she threw a few more insults at me. From the middle of the parking lot she yells at the top of her lungs: "I SMITE YOUR WOMB!" Wha? Huh? Whatever, just get the car and drive. Fast. Then on the way home I'm thinking about the "smiting". We Presby-Catholics just don't discuss the smiting all that often, really, so it is a new term to me. I was prepared for her to tell me I was a dumb b*@%# or something, but the smiting just clinched it for me that she was a certified lunatic.
We got a good laugh out of it at work and felt like we dodged a bullet. Can you imagine an already traumatized foster child living in that home?

Oh, don't think that I ever forgot about that comment. Every time I was ready to break out the good ol' First Response test little Miss Smitey Pants snuck back into my mind. But then I reassured myself that no, she didn't really have the power to do that. Three years later, little Hania was born. *Big sigh of relief*

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be social workers!


19 comments:

Blog Stalker said...

Wow, that was one of the most interesting stories. I think I "LOVE" the whole freak flag refrences. I will have a new reason to look forward to fridays. Thanks for sharing this story and so glad your womb was not smote.

Have a gerat day!

Sleepless Sabra said...

I had many similar experiences when working at the Child Advocacy Center and Shelter for children before I had children of my own. We had a man drop by the shelter one day thinking it was a brothel. We had many pedophiles try to get into the shelter as volunteers. Fortunately our savvy shelter manager put all employees/volunteers through a series of rigorous tests from background checks to interviews to the "I'm praying about you and listening to my gut"- test. That last one may not be legal but it helped us weed out a few dangerous people and prevent them from getting around the children. Most of the children I worked with were victims of sexual abuse. I think I saw over 200 cases in the two years I was there. It's all still with me, deep in my brain. And, I have to say, while those experiences changed me for the better - the things I've learned and experienced as a stay-at-home mom far rival any experiences I had in school or while working. You will be surprised at how much you will grow. And, don't forget you'll now have time for many opportunities to do service. Ok, too long of a comment - must run!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your idea for all these work stories! Ok, I feel really bad for that adoptive family! Crazy grandma and her silly abduction plans. :)

Caroline said...

She sounds like a whack job! Geez! And smiting? She doesn't have the skills to actually do that. Whatever. Like i said...WHACK JOB!

Jen said...

Missy, this is the going to be the best series ever! I am going to look forward to every Friday to read and new rendition. Excellent idea.
Its a good thing that people really are crazy so I can imagine that you have lots of stories.

amy7252 said...

My jaw is on the floor. How is that woman not in jail?? Scary.

But I'll second Jen's comment that I am super-excited about your new series and can't wait to read more! Little Miss Smitey Pants ... classic!

Kimba said...

Oh girl, I just love reading your crazy stories. You tell them so well!

I'm constantly amazed at the lunacy of some folks.

Tiffany said...

Okay, you have a book in the making. OH.MY.STARS.

I smite your womb? Really.

Oh, and you NEED to go read this:

http://therfamilydiaries.blogspot.com/2008/04/wow-ive-been-tagged-my-firs-rite-of.html

(It's number 1 that will have you wondering if we did infact grow up in the same house.)

SouthernDogwoods said...

Hi! I stumbled on your blog via SITS! And my name is Missy too - well, short for Melissa but I go by Missy. I love this story!!! Sorry you had to witness so MAJOR craziness. I have always said it takes a special person to work in your field (I recently was introduced to a DHR worker at a party & I heard a few of her stories & Wow!). What a nut Mrs. Peach was. Anyways, I can't wait to check out your next story!

SouthernDogwoods said...

Hi! I stumbled on your blog via SITS! And my name is Missy too - well, short for Melissa but I go by Missy. I love this story!!! Sorry you had to witness so MAJOR craziness. I have always said it takes a special person to work in your field (I recently was introduced to a DHR worker at a party & I heard a few of her stories & Wow!). What a nut Mrs. Peach was. Anyways, I can't wait to check out your next story!

Kimberly said...

Missy...How I LOVE your stories! Sometimes I can't believe how psychotic people are, but obviously, they are! I am so excited to hear all these stories because they honestly crack me up~you are amazing! I hope little Hania will continue to teach you lots of things (without the crazy people added in) while you are a stay-at-home momma! You will be great...just don't forget how important being a mom is! :) We need to chat soon! Good luck in your last 13 days of work!

WheresMyAngels said...

I love the Freak Flag!

This was a nutty story, but I don't know if you can top your burrito story, that one was just priceless. My SIL Scott and I have some zingers about the nutty co-workers we have had, but we can't post them since people we work with, read our blogs!! lol

Krafty Kat said...

This has to be one of my favorite memories from working with you at this job. Weeks and weeks of lunch table conversation after this!

Debbie said...

WOW! That is freak flag at it's best. I wonder where she is now. Maybe she reads your blog...maybe I am her...oh wait, I'm not 50 with frosted pink lipstick...or am I?? MWAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Anonymous said...

[url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/russian-scams-american-men-women.html]russian scams american men women[/url] [url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/russian-women-nudes-free-photos.html]russian women nudes free photos[/url] [url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/russian-military-women.html]russian military women[/url] [url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/women-usa-russian.html]women usa russian[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://free.hamee.ru/russian-brides-in-the-usa.html]russian brides in the usa[/url] [url=http://free.hamee.ru/russian-hardcore-girls.html]russian hardcore girls[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://girls.reira.ru/women-clothing-in-russian-cathedrals.html]women clothing in russian cathedrals[/url] [url=http://girls.reira.ru/index34.html]russian girls are sluts[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://hotl.reira.ru/index65.html]free sex pictures of russian girls[/url] [url=http://hotl.reira.ru/xxx-very-old-russian-woman.html]xxx very old russian woman[/url]

Anonymous said...

Иллюстрации - Иллюстрации к сказкам Клипарты - Подводный мир


Missy

For the moment, my blog has turned into a gratitude journal!


Clickety-click over here to find out the Secret! This fabulous site features new blogs every day!