Sunday, August 31, 2008

Beautiful day in the neighborhood

If you've read my blog anytime in the past year you have most likely heard me raving about our neighborhood. Well, actually, our neighbors. We're very happy to live on a street with lots of other families that also have young children, and we have become very close and depend on each other frequently, as many of us don't have family nearby. And not just the women...the guys are all pretty close too. (Well, you know, as "close" as guys will admit they are. They no likey the feelings so much.)

You can imagine our shock when we discovered that TWO of these families would be moving out of state within the same week. Both were for positive reasons, for better jobs and to be closer to family. But still... talk about a double whammy!

So what to do when the going gets tough? BLOCK PARTY, baby!
Here are the girls posing for one last shot together. Erin (furthest on the left, striking her America's Next Top Model pose) and Jenny ( in the black print top - you can't even tell homegirl is pregnant with twins, huh?) are the two hens flying the coop.
I can't even express how much I will miss both of these amazing women. Our relationship with their families has made our time in Kentucky a great experience. I love a quote that I read somewhere (maybe on a card? I can't remember): "Each person who enters our life, each spirit that accompanies us upon our journey, leaves us forever changed and enriched".

And then someone had the grand idea to get all the neighborhood kids together for a photo op. Yep, that's my tiny redhead screaming her lungs out. I typically don't post pics of other peoples' children for privacy purposes, but I couldn't help this one!
Being the culinary overachiever (or perhaps delusional lunatic) that I am, I decided to try some ideas from my new book: Hello, Cupcake! Full of the cutest ideas that are all designed to use easy decorating items like candy, and no special tools, only ziploc bags to decorate.

I was hoping to modify their design for the doggy cupcakes to make Arkansas razorbacks on the cupcakes, for our neighbors who were moving back to Arkansas. Why didn't someone warn me that making red icing simply is not humanly possible? No matter how much red gel dye you use. No matter how much you stir. Please note the color of the icing (salmon) as compared to the icing lid (true red). Ahem. So I went on to plan B: sunflowers, which are pretty and summery, and had a very detailed guide in the book.
Ta-da! Not too shabby!
They were a huge hit with the kids and I was fairly proud of the final product, especially considering how quickly they were thrown together. Guess what the lady bugs were made out of? M&M's. And they were crazy easy.

And lest you think that I am a classy, culinary wizard soon to rival Martha, I present to you my 2nd dessert. This is a cake made for Tvrtko (Erin's husband) in reference to a joke he told about himself. And it has to do with poop. I'm so sorry to admit that, but truly that just speaks to how close we are in this neighborhood.

Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?

11 comments:

Trooper Thorn said...

Great sunflower cookies. My kids will like those. How did the Razorback cupcakes turn out? You could do a whole line of NCAA mascot cupcakes for Bowl season.

Caroline said...

Great cuppy-cakes and the poo cake isn't so bad either! Martha could have you guest host sometime. Looks like you all have fun together. I wish our neighborhood had that.

Jen said...

I am so jealous of your neighborhood. That is the kind of neighborhood that I thought we were moving into but it turns out that we did not.
Anyway, I am sorry that you are loosing some friends that has to be hard. And the cup cakes are awesome, strong work. I am cracking up over the 'poop' cake. hehehehe

wendy said...

Good neighbors are worth their weight in gold and I hate that you are losing two.

Great cupcakes, btw!

Kimberly said...

1. I love the sunflowers! They turned out so so cute! Sorry about the red frosting not working out...I would've loved to warn you about that, had I known! :)
2. I'm sorry that two good neighbors are leaving. That will be sad for your block of friends!
3. I miss you all so much! I tried to call yesterday but I heard your fam was in town anyway. We have to catch up sometime!
4. How are you?

WheresMyAngels said...

A poop cake! You go girl!

Anonymous said...

Those cupcakes are so adorable! We're impressed you just "threw them together" like that. How special that your neighborhood is so close (enough to share poop jokes), and how sad to lose some of your neighborhood family all at once. But, it sounds like y'all have created wonderful memories and thank goodness for email for keeping in touch, right?

Love the group pictures!

Scott, Victoria, Hannah and Caleb said...

Wow! You do have great neighbors. I can't believe how many kids there are. We had a street like that, but we had THREE move away within the same month. That took away five little kiddos. We were pretty upset as well.

FarmGirl said...

I so miss the neighborhood thing...but Ky thought she was super cool when I delivered her to a bunkin' party via 4 wheeler!!
Love your sunflowers...I am off to look up the book myself!

Oh, and even though you took a break from bloggy world, I still think you're awesome...so I gave you an award! Come over and take a peek! So glad to see you on again! Life get's kinda crazy, eh? Toodle loo!!!!!

Erin Sutton said...

I have that same Hello, Cupcake book, but haven't tried to bake anything from it yet. When I do, I will have to post about it.

FYI: I learned that if you want a true red color, try using the Spider-Man Icing Color Set by Wiltons. The red in the set is a great red to use.

Sleepless Sabra said...

Poop cake!? That's too funny. You SHOULD be on Martha Stewart with the poop cake. Ha, ha, ha.


Missy

For the moment, my blog has turned into a gratitude journal!


Clickety-click over here to find out the Secret! This fabulous site features new blogs every day!