Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Welcome to Roots & Wings!

So...what do you think? I am officially Blogalicious! Thanks to Staci and Stephanie for making all of my blog designs dreams come true! If you are interested in a new design, I highly recommend their services. They were extremely professional, and although it is likely that I drove them crazy as a highly-demanding-princess-of-a-first-paying-client, they were so sweet and developed exactly what I was hoping for.

This post will be a little intro to my bloggy world, just in case you are new here!
I'm sure everyone is losing sleep asking themselves "Why Roots & Wings?" What happened to "And Hania Makes Three?" Or not.

I truly love the quote that is written in my header, and it seemed fitting for this blog.
Most of what I write about is related to funny stories from my past (ROOTS) or funny stories about my evolution as a new mother and my ongoing suburban drama (WINGS). Aaaaah, get it now? So I asked the Blogalicious genius duo to design something that incorporates my love of nature, with some whimsical elements. Yep, you heard me...I said "whimsical". Which is basically another way to say "flighty", "easily distracted by too many years of multi-tasking" or "wants to have a very large margarita but is so busy that it took she and her girlfriends 2.5 months of planning to actually have a girls night out". Who's bitter? Who's stressed? Not me. After September, NOT ME sucka'!

And about comments... I have spoken with several folks that I know IRL (that's IN REAL LIFE - uh oh, I don't think you're supposed to use text message slang if you're over 30) and they said that they don't leave comments because they don't have a blogger sign in. Here's the beautiful thing - you don't even have to! Just leave a comment and write your name at the end! Or if you choose to create a blogger sign in, it doesn't commit you to doing a blog (although I highly recommend it, as blogging is very therapeutic).

Did anyone notice that my "About Me" section has been blank for a week? That's because I really don't know where to begin. Not that I'm that interesting, it's just difficult to summarize yourself in a teensy little paragraph. Or maybe I'm secretly afraid that I'm just another mommy-blogger that won't stand out from anyone else. But putting all that aside, I plan to just use this space as an opportunity to do the following things:

1. Express the thoughts that race through my head on a daily basis. (To those of you who are clinically minded, NO, they are not "racing thoughts" per se. Unfortunately I don't think the meds are gonna' help this girl!)

2. Document the everyday beauty and drama of my life as a new mother, especially during my transition to stay at home mom. I hope that this blog will serve as documentation for Hania later on down the road that her momma was "keepin' it REAL!" Maybe during her first year of motherhood she will be able to break it out and see that it wasn't always sunshine and roses on a daily basis, and that is is a-okay to still be figuring things out as you go along.

3. Make you laugh your heinie off or at least hard enough for coffee to shoot out your nose. Yes, that made the top 3 goals. Although I am a definite introvert, I LOOOOVE to make people laugh. I believe that my life experience as a social worker, or growing up in a small town, or attending college at Catholic Disneyland as a non-Catholic, or marrying a Revolutionary War fanatic could possibly provide a few stories that you could get a kick out of.

And in the spirit of LETTING GO and just ENJOYING the experience of blogging....I'm going to do something really wild and crazy. Ready?
NOT edit. NOT spell check (although I am quite the spelling bee champ from back in the day). NOT worry if it was coherent. NOT be concerned if I offended anyone. NOT be anything other than a whimsical girl writing a blog....with a kick-butt new design!

13 comments:

Byerly grandparents said...

You go girl! We think your new blog design is terrific - especially the picture of the Poohlicious girl in the header. Love to read your thoughts, and see you have the opportunity to be the crazy, fun, thought provoking journalist that you are.
Love,
Mom & Dad

Kimberly said...

Hey girl! I love the new design (esp. now w/o the polka dots in the background and with the new picture of Hania and her cute little toesies!) I guess I will see you tomorrow...so for now, all I have to say is, I love it and I am so glad I'll be able to enjoy your friendship even far away...and get to "see" Hania on a fairly regular basis...(haha--that was ALL I had to say!) :) see you tomorrow!

Caroline said...

Cute new look! Congrats on being on the saucy blog list. I got that privilege last week. You get to sit back and relax and people will give you comment love, and maybe a margarita.

Clayton said...

Increase the dosage! Great new look; how can that little munchkin get any cuter!

Blogalicious Designs said...

You're too sweet! We're so glad you love the new design and you were the PERFECT client... what are you talking about???

Sherri said...

Congrats on being on the Saucy list this week!! This is my first visit to your blog. I will be back!!!

Blogalicious Designs said...

hey you, okay so i changed the blogalicious button and added important copyright info, you can move it to where ever you want, no worries, if you dont like the size let me know....other wise :( you can take us off your author list!!! ill miiiiiisssss you!!!

Stace

Laura said...

Wow, love the updated blog look. Very impressive - definitley not the typical mommy blogger. (I KNOW i am a typical mommy blogger, but don't care) The blog keeps improving every day! Hania will love reading all of this when she is older.. "Catholic Disneyland" haha very funny. Love the idea of not self-editing - very bold.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Love the new look! And don't you love being a saucy blog? I'm still riding the high from my day in the sun!

Jess NBP said...

Visiting from SITS, Congrats on the Saucy list.

EmBee said...

Missy, thanks for stopping by my site. And your blog... GORGEOUS! The moment it came up on my screen I just wanted to frame it and put it on the wall.

I'll be back!

Heather said...

It is so FABULOUS!!! I love how scapbooky it looks.

stefanie said...

What a beautiful layout for your blog. I love that quote too, and I think you used it quite effectively! Thanks for inviting the SITSTA's over...


Missy

For the moment, my blog has turned into a gratitude journal!


Clickety-click over here to find out the Secret! This fabulous site features new blogs every day!