Saturday, June 28, 2008

Farewell for Grandpa Byerly

For once, this post will be short and sweet. The pictures speak for themselves.

My Grandpa Byerly passed away on June 20th, 2008.

Although I am one of the only family members that is missing his memorial service in Minnesota today, I would like to share with them (and the blogosphere!) some of my memories related to Grandpa Byerly.

He was a war veteran, soul mate to Marge, father of 6, and grandfather of 11.

We really weren't as close as some children are to their grandparents, but this was mainly due to the fact that we lived 10 hours away. They were quite close to many of the other grandchildren that lived nearby. I developed a sort of fantasy world related to my paternal grandparents, based on the brief snippets of time that I spent with them. Looking back, some of these thoughts are hilarious! Maybe the rest of the family will get a kick out of hearing them too.


Grandpa's tattoos were fascinating, and I never really understood where they came from.
I always just assumed he was a rebel. Probably because he owned a motorcycle, and I didn't know anyone else that owned one. Ergo...he must have been in a biker gang. Duh. So obvious!

When we went up to visit them, he would take me outside and show me around their ultra-cool terraced back yard, or let me poke around in their basement filled with fish tanks and plants.

Grandpa and Grandma frequently sent me packages when I was very little, and I distinctly recall the following items:
a tape of the song Music Box Dancer that I would twirl around to for hours in our basement
maple sugar candy
"Lollies" - sweet tart-like pops that you can't find anywhere these days


It is clear to me where my daughter's red hair comes from. Grandpa's nickname was "Red".

He always wore bolo ties like this one.

Somewhere along the line Grandma told someone that we could just call them "Len & Marge".
Which made them instantly cool, because calling adults by first names was taboo.

I remember that he always smelled like cigarettes and chewing gum, and his whiskers ticked me when I gave him a kiss. When he'd let me go after a hug or kiss he would always say "ok then" and seem a little bit embarrassed at the affection. But I could always tell that he was pleased.

He had a series of chihuahuas that worshiped him shamelessly.

He loved his wife more than anything in the world and was very dependent upon her.
His world seemed to fall apart after Grandma died. It was heartbreaking for everyone to see.


Grandpa and Grandma often appeared to be free spirits to me.
They traveled to nearly every major park in the West, often taking their young children with them. Every winter they took their camper to the southwest (no, not an RV, a tiny little camper that they nicknamed the "Tartarus" after the ship on Dr. Who).
One year when I was around 6 yrs old, they stopped by to visit us in Missouri. When I went out to their camper they showed me all of these interesting items that they picked up during their travels:
a "shrunken" head (probably picked up at some silly tourist shop)
a tiny plastic toy slot machine (picked up in Nevada)
dried habanero chiles
large pieces of turquoise that they purchased in Mexico

How exotic were these people? Seriously, right then and there I decided that they were obviously witch doctors. Or outlaws on the run. Or that Grandpa was really Willy Nelson.
I'm sure I probably told some wild stories to my friends based on these assumptions!


Above all, I am grateful to my grandfather for raising such a wonderful man, who went on to become my Darling Dimpled Daddy, and my daughter's "Poohpa".
I know he is sad today, and I am sad for him.
So many of my father's interests can be directly traced back to activities that he did with his parents: his love of nature, biking, backpacking, gardening, and photography.

Much love to all of my family! I miss you all bunches today!

23 comments:

Clayton said...

Amen.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! I have a Tiny plastic slot machine that MY grandpa & grandma got in Nevada! It's pink and I STILL love it.

What a wonderful memory of a magnificent man.

Kimberly said...

What a lovely bunch of memories!
He sounds like a wonderful man. He's in a better place. I'm sorry you couldn't be there.

Sherri said...

Oh that is so sweet. I am sorry for your loss. When my grandpa died I seriously fell apart!!!!

Hey on a lighter note. I gave you an award on my blog, come and get it!

Staci said...

http://theloalbos.blogspot.com/2008/06/so-you-think-you-can-dance.html

You just have NOOOO idea how alike our gparents are thankfully i still have mine here, but i worry sooo much about my pipaw....check out that blog.....

Lynda said...

What a lovely tribute to your grandfather. Amazing how much of our relatives make up who we are - even when we don't spend as much time with them as we would like.

Found you through SITS and am glad I did.

Krafty Kat said...

So sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man.

If those "Lollies" are what I think they are, I think they might still be available. But it would mean going to a retail outlet I can't stand (and don't live anywhere near). But I'll keep my eyes open:)

Aunt Julie said...

What a sweet story! Hi! I'm new to the Blogosphere, and I found your site thru another link. Interesting stuff here! I'm running a giveaway, and I'd love it if you'd stop by. http://poprs.blogspot.com/2008/06/giveaway-tuesday.html Drop in any time! :)

Unknown said...

And NOW i find out your favorite movie is the Parent Trap?? You are SO too cool!!!!

Debbie said...

And this post is why I adore you. You are so eloquent and funny and endearing. I think that IS the best post I have ever read by someone who has recently lost a relative. Well done. Oh and I have to say, I actually welled up when I saw your comment on the SITS site the day of my "party" that I was someone you wished you lived next door to. Then you said the same thing to me on my blog...To you a big fat kiss and a hug. I am just now recovering from all that lovin and need to get back to my reading my dailies like you!

Mary said...

What a nice tribute and post.

Byerly grandparents said...

Everyone has a different recollection when they think about the loss of someone they love. It was both humerous and tearful to read about your memories of Dad. He truly loved his grandchildren and delighted in the time spent with them. Thank you for sharing your memories.
I love you. Dad

Byerly grandparents said...

Miss, your blog about Grandpa Byerly was such a lovely surprise when we got home tonight from Minnesota. You had me laughing and crying at the same time. I'm so glad you have such fun memories of your Byerly Grandparents. We missed you at the memorial service - but I can tell that you were there in heart. You could not have done anything nicer for your Dad and Grandpa.
Love you so much!
Mom

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful Missy! I have some of the same memories of Grandpa and Grandma. Especialy the Lollies! They were both wonderful people and we really do have a wonderful family. Lots of love to you and your family. Wish we could see you! Love Heather

Anonymous said...

This is great! Thanks so much. We missed you over the weekend, but I can't even imagine how busy you are with the job and the baby. Making your own baby food! (which was quite entertaining, btw) Jeez. I don't even cook for us!

Karen
your step-aunt twice removed, or something like that

EmBee said...

What a lovely tribute. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your memories and your photos!

Unknown said...

So sorry for your loss! That was a beautiful post! Congratulations on SITS blog today!

Sarah Mae said...

He sounds like an amazing and fun man - free spirit indeed! What wonderful memories you have! Thank you for the beautiful way you've honored him.

KimmyJ said...

I am visiting thru SITS and I am so glad to be here today. God Bless you and yours. I am sorry you couldn't make it to the service, I know how that feels and it really hurts. A beautiful moving tribute. Big Hugs!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing that...I STILL miss my Grandpa, and he's been gone more than 11 years...First love...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. Sounds like your grandparents live on in you and your kids. Hugs to you.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

A beautiful and evocative tribute to your Grandpa. It sounds as though his was a life well lived. What more can one ask for.


Missy

For the moment, my blog has turned into a gratitude journal!


Clickety-click over here to find out the Secret! This fabulous site features new blogs every day!