Friday, May 2, 2008

Celebrate National Foster Care Month!

I suppose it is about time for a serious post, for once!



May is National Foster Care Month. Check out the link below for details:

http:www.fostercaremonth.org/Pages/default.aspx//



It is a neat overview of foster care. The site has a fabulous drop-down menu on the left under "Get Involved" that allows you to choose a way to help, whether you have 5 minutes or a lifetime to devote to children in need.

Foster care is a very special topic for me because I have worked in this field for the past 5 years. Most of you know this, but I'm employed as a treatment director for a locally based foster care program in Kentucky. The 3 offices I manage cover all of western KY and include about 60+ children and 45 foster families. The agency is specifically for "therapeutic" foster children, which means that they have been removed from their families due to often chronic abuse (physical and sexual) or extreme neglect. Being a foster parent is an incredibly difficult job, and the financial compensation does not even BEGIN to cover the emotional and financial toll that it could take on a family. But there are some amazing folks out there that feel called to foster, and I am so grateful that these caring individuals exist.

You probably see foster families every day and don't even realize it. Occasionally it is obvious, when you see a mother with a bazillion children of all different races, dragging them through the grocery store and some of them are screaming "you're not my mama!". That one's obvious. But normally they are just people going about their day, attempting to make this child comfortable despite the fact that they are in a completely new environment without one single friendly face that they recognize. I'm not saying that these kids are angels, by any means! There are many nights when I want to just relax with my husband and baby, and not take the midnight phone calls when a child is acting up, or a foster parent needs reassurance, but it comes down to this fact: negative life events = negative behaviors. Simple fact that I repeat to myself when I'm feeling overwhelmed by this job. Also, fostering can be an excellent route to adoption given the right circumstances. If anyone wants more info on fostering, just let me know and I'll be straight with you, the good and the bad. Or as Johnny says in a diva voice: "You tell it like it IS!" Could he be making fun of me? (:

Oh yeah, and if anyone is in the mood to send up a prayer, or some good karma or vibes to the universe, please remember the children and foster care workers dealing with this west Texas Yearning for Zion Ranch situation. I'm not expressing an opinion on it here, but let me just say that those workers are in OVER THEIR HEADS! I'm stressed out for them! There is no way they were prepared to handle the care and respect the culture and traditions of those children! Not saying they should not have been investigated, but the whole situation is tough.

On a happy note, the Kentucky Derby is tomorrow, which means there will be all kind of fun post-Derby party pics posted on Sunday/Monday!

3 comments:

Byerly grandparents said...

Excellent article. The foster kids of KY have a real warrior/champion on their sides with you. We are so proud of you honey!
Love, Mom & Dad

Scott, Victoria, Hannah and Caleb said...

Are you going to the Derby? I want to come and visit again!

amy7252 said...

So, have you ever been tempted to foster a child yourself? I'm guessing that's a no-no in your particular job position right now. I know that when I volunteer at animal shelters, I almost always want to come home with another dog!

Cool post, btw. I'm glad to know that there is someone so competent looking out for those kids. All you ever hear in the news are the bad stories, and there are probably SO many more good stories out there!


Missy

For the moment, my blog has turned into a gratitude journal!


Clickety-click over here to find out the Secret! This fabulous site features new blogs every day!