Friday, April 11, 2008

About 6 months ago right now...


I looked like this! Hania's 6 month birthday is today at 11:34 am! It feels like she has been with us for much longer that just 6 months.

My water broke sometime after 2am when I managed to finally lay down to rest. I distinctly recall feeling my water break (no mistaking that feeling!) and lapsing into my typical procrastination/denial mode and thinking: "dang, I'm really not ready to deliver her yet because I still haven't finished that client's assessment, and my cute hoodie isn't finished drying yet, and I don't want my parents/in-laws to see how dirty the carpets are." Wow.

This pic is around 3am after I'd showered, attempted to use the flat iron between contractions, and painted my toenails. Because that's the important stuff, right?

I'll spare you the details of the delivery, but here is little Hania at around 1 minute old:



Again, the denial kicked in when I saw them lay her momentarily on my stomach, and I thought: "That cannot be MY big, red-headed baby!" Nevermind that silly umbilical cord attached, I just wasn't quite sure she was ours! (For some reason, my mind painted a vision of her as a dark haired baby, and the doctor's assured me that she would be quite small according to their measurements.) Johnny just kept saying "oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh". I don't think he was referring to my newly painted toenails, either.

A team of nurses whisked her away to do more thorough suctioning because she had swallowed some fluid during her trip down the birthing water slide. Thankfully I couldn't see them sticking a long tube down into her throat repeatedly, but Johnny did. And it really freaked him out for obvious reasons. She was just fine after a couple of minutes, and then they handed her to us and then we were....alone. With a baby. Our baby. That we have to feed and change and protect and educate and teach to read and ride a bike and give amazing life experiences to. Holy CRAP!
And she's going to want to go to Mardi Gras and South Padre for spring break someday!
No no no!



Do we look shell shocked? That's because we were. And still are. But we're getting the hang of it and have enjoyed so many wonderful moments with little Hania. Happy 6 Month Birthday little girl!
We'll post an official 6 month photo later today!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Happy 1/2 birthday, Hania! I cannot believe that you looked so good immediately before giving birth! I do not think I would willing post a picture of me on the way to the hospital... I did take a very very long hot shower before I left for the hospital - I did not paint my toenails, though.

LINDA said...

Missy---uh, look at that first picture you posted, and tell me again why you thought you were having a teensy baby? hee hee hee
Love,
Sabra's Mom


Missy

For the moment, my blog has turned into a gratitude journal!


Clickety-click over here to find out the Secret! This fabulous site features new blogs every day!