Monday, March 10, 2008

Tiramisu anyone?

I know, a blog without photos is rather depressing. You can blame Blogger. I've been trying to post pics for over 24 hrs and still no luck. We have tons of fun pics in the snow, too. They're on the way...

In the meantime, I feel obligated to share this recipe with you.... White Russian Tiramisu.
Oh yeah, it is every bit as good as it sounds.
Warning #1: Your butt is going to hate me for sharing this with you. My butt wants your butt to share in it's misery! (: Actually it is from Cooking Light, so it could be worse.
Warning #2: Ingredients include coffee and Kahlua...BUT I'm happy to report that it is just as good if you make it using substitutions if you are avoiding those substances. I had to try it out to make sure, because literally every, single, dang recipe that is my favorite has liquor or wine in it. I'm not sure what that says about me, but moving on... And every time our LDS friends were coming over I was freaking the heck out trying to figure out how to substitute ingredients for the alcohol. Some turned out good and others....well, I'll just say that Miss K-Dog had a nice dinner that night! I'll list the substitutions beside the ingredients.

WHITE RUSSIAN TIRAMISU

1 1/2 cups strong brewed coffee (or decaf, or hot water w/ artificial coffee flavoring)
1/4 cup Kahlua (or use the same substitution liquid above, sweetened w/ several tsp of sugar)
8 oz fat free cream cheese, softened
3 1/2 oz regular cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
2 3oz packages of ladyfingers (they come split in half, found in the bakery)
3 tsp unsweetened cocoa

  • Make coffee and mix with 2 tsp Kahlua in a shallow dish. Cool. (yep, it IS cool, but I literally mean allow it to cool.)
  • Combine all cream cheese in a lg bowl. Beat w/ a mixer at high speed until smooth. Add sugars and 2 tbsp Kahlua, and beat until well blended.
  • Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise (they usually come already split)
  • Quickly dip 24 ladyfinger halves, flat sides down, into coffee mixture; placed dipped sides down in bottom of a deep baking dish, slightly overlapping the halves. Spread cheese mixture on top, and sprinkle with cocoa.
  • You can do as many layers as you'd like, depending on how big your dish is. (I prefer to do 3+ layers b/c it looks really pretty and fancy served up when it is cut into squares.)
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. The recipe says for 2 hrs but they are underachievers. It is waaaaay better chilled overnight because the coffee gets all cozy and lovey with the ladyfingers and it is crazy-good!

Warning #3: You are going to want to eat it right away. Really, I'm not joking. But don't. Please don't. Get a hold of yourself woman! (or man!) Say it with me: "I will not touch said tiramisu until it has time to fully chill." You know I'm telling this to myself right now, right? (:
It's not about you, it's ME.

Let me know how it turns out if you make it!
More recipes to come, I've been cooking up a storm this weekend.


19 comments:

sassy stephanie said...

Mmmm. Man I've got the munchies.

Sherri said...

From a Utah Mormon --- OH MY HECK!!!

Tam said...

sounds awesome!

Amy said...

Wow! This sounds delightful!

Lula! said...

This sounds FABULOUS!!!!! And I so want to eat it while listening to Coldplay, too...

Melissa Lester said...

Do you think a flavored creamer would work in place of the Kalhua, or would you just stick with the coffee? I don't drink, but this recipe sounds yummy even without the alcohol.

Sydney said...

Oh yummy! I'm adding this one to my recipe stack!

Tami said...

That sounds fabulous!! I. Want. Some. Now.

Rhea said...

You're funny. :o)

Anonymous said...

will definately have to try it after the baby comes! it sound wonderful! YUMMM

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your Saucy Chef feature! Sounds amazing- thanks for the substitutions...my husband is allergic to alcohol - so we always avoid tirumisu! Can't wait to try!

Live.Love.Eat said...

This is right up my alley. All my favs in one dish!!!! Thanks and congrats on being featured!!!!

~*Paty*~ said...

I've actually just used extra cocoa to replace coffee and it tastes fine to me. Sweeter. :o)

Michelle said...

I love how your two Saucy Eats post were conceptually opposite -- homemade healthy baby food and adult dessert!

Claremont First Ward said...

Sounds great. I'll tell my butt to blame your butt.

Unknown said...

Oh my giddy godfather!!! I am sooo going to make this. My butt can just mind it's own business!! :-)

Congratulations on being the saucy chef!!

Tiffany said...

I am happy just thinking about making this...and then eating it. All.

Apple Joos said...

This just looks heavenly in my head as I'm picturing myself making it. I'll definitely be trying this one. Thanks!

Angela said...

I'm a bit late stopping by for your SITS feature but had houseguests this weekend. Now this is a perfect antidote to houseguest aftermath! I'm going to try this for sure!

And like you, most of my favorite drinks or meals have alcohol somewhere. Don't worry, it's not just you!


Missy

For the moment, my blog has turned into a gratitude journal!


Clickety-click over here to find out the Secret! This fabulous site features new blogs every day!