Monday, March 10, 2008

Chicken Cordon Bleu-me-away!

Yep, I'm a dork. That title took me far to long to think up!

The little clock on my blog is wrong, it is actually 3am and I'm staying up to pump. (Sorry for the mental image, but I'm trying desperately to maintain my "supply", if ya get my drift! If you aren't a mama, then you aren't grossed out b/c you don't really know what I'm referring to. A year ago I would have though someone staying up to pump was lifting weights!)

Anyway...

Another fabulous recipe that I've been making frequently this winter:

Chicken Cordon Bleu
Also from Cooking Light, my favorite!
I'll just guess on amounts b/c you really cannot mess this one up.

4 thin chicken breasts (you can flatten yourself, but most stores sell them already flattened)
4 slices thin ham
4 slices cheese (swiss, provolone, mozzarella...they're all good)
Herbs (I use oregano, basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme)
Mixture of mayo and water
Bread crumbs
Toothpicks

  • Lightly season one side of flattened chicken breasts w/ any herbs you like, salt and pepper.
  • Place 1 slice of ham, 1 slice of cheese on the chicken breast.
  • Roll it up tightly, starting with one end. It is going to be imperfect, don't freak. Use a toothpick in each end to hold the roll together. (Or if you're me...attempt to roll chicken breast, push cat away so she doesn't lick chicken, pick up teething baby's pacifier w/ chicken juice fingers then realize you are going to contaminate the poor child, wash hands, push cat away again, make barricade of canisters so cat cannot pass through, play peek-a-boo behind the canisters so the baby doesn't cry, give her a teething ring using my elbows so as not to give her food poisoning, trip over dog, attempt to re-roll chicken, receive phone call from foster parent claiming that belligerent foster child must be picked up immediately, decide that I'll make double the amount so I don't have to do this again for at least 2 days, successfully re-roll chicken...ta da!!! Only 3 more to go.)
  • Brush each chicken roll with a mix of mayo and water.
  • Dredge each roll in breadcrumbs seasoned with herbs.
  • Place rolls in baking dish coated with cooking spray.
  • Bake 20 minutes at 325.
ENJOY! It looks really gourmet and is so delicious. You can stuff it with anything, I suppose. Next I'm going to stuff it with spinach, feta and sun dried tomatoes!



1 comment:

Kim said...

Sounds good! I have a very similar Weight Watchers recipe, except I use honey mustard instead of the mayo/water combo. Haven't made it in a while, but I might have to pull this one out again soon!


Missy

For the moment, my blog has turned into a gratitude journal!


Clickety-click over here to find out the Secret! This fabulous site features new blogs every day!