Sunday, October 5, 2008

What's Cookin'?

See, I'm trying to at least follow through on my promise to let you know what we're eating each week!

I've decided that since this is such a busy week we are going to keep it simple. No difficult recipes, nothing new, just mix and match basics. Johnny often jokes that we never eat the same thing twice during a 6 month period.
Hania's birthday celebration (ie both sides of the fam coming in) is next weekend, and obviously I'm going to do some over the top cupcakes and an awesome meal for the family celebration because I'm an overachieving idiot like that. Plus, Johnny is in his MBA classes 2 nights each week, and lets not forget his study nights. Or the fact that 2 babies rolling around on the floor daily + 5 shedding pets = Missy vacuuming and mopping nightly. So...simple meals are where it's at this week.

Meats/main dish:
Chicken, black bean and cheese quesadillas w/ wheat tortillas
Maple mustard glazed salmon (I use a local syrup that we bought at the Sugarbush Festival, mixed with dijon mustard)
Spitfire shrimp (a g0-to recipe that you can make as spicy or mild as you'd like)
Chicken & mozzarella ravioli from Costco

Veggies:
Salad greens w/ red pepper slices
Carrots
Asparagus roasted w/ a little balsamic vinegar
Acorn squash baked w/ a little brown sugar

Starches:
Pillsbury whole wheat rolls that can be individually heated (to ensure that I don't wolf down 12 rolls in a setting - not that I'd do that, but I have a friend of a friend of a friend that has done that once or twice...)
Cheddar bread from our weekend jaunt to Huber Farm & Orchard
Sweet potatoes
Corn on the cob

Fruits:
Apples from our trip to Huber Farm & Orchard
Plums, bananas, kiwis, raspberries

Dairy:
Jalapeno cheese from our trip to Huber Farm & Orchard (with pita chips)
Cottage cheese
Low-fat yogurt

Seems healthy enough, but I think some dietary changes are coming our way. Johnny's migraines are coming more and more frequently, and I would like to start eliminating possible "trigger foods" to see if that helps.
Now if we can just stay away from any sweets this week... we'll have plenty of cupcakes next weekend!
Here's wishing everyone a healthy week!

7 comments:

WheresMyAngels said...

Girl, I wanted to see a Friday Freak Flag day! Where you been?

WheresMyAngels said...

ha ha, opps I missed it! Weird, cause I swear I checked!! lol

Kimberly said...

Hey Miss! (Apparently I feel like calling you that because "Missy" still isn't short enough for me)
You menus looks fantastic, just like always! I miss your good cooking! (I never cook anymore if you can imagine that). I can't believe Hania is turning one this weekend! I wish I could be there to see you all! If I can ever get my booty in gear (and if I can ever leave work before post office hours are over) you will have a fun package coming your way. I hope you have an amazing week!

amy7252 said...

Wow, so you can still eat chicken after your ... ahem ... encounters with the beasts? Hmm, maybe its revenge against the birds: "Attack me, huh? Well, I ate your momma!"

Snowbound Gal said...

That all sounds delicious! I wish I could get my family to eat healthy like that. Sometimes I think if I set out food that was healthy, we'd end up eating out!

I have a secret mission for you but I can't find your e-mail address. Would you please send me an e-mail (my address is in my profile) so I can explain?

Caroline said...

I just popped in to wish Hania a Happy Birthday! It's this week right? Hope you guys have/had fun celebrating and watching Hania give herself a makeover in icing.

Sleepless Sabra said...

Love the food blogs. How fun. I just stopped in to let you know that yes, I do actually bathe my cat. She's pretty good about it. She cries some but doesn't claw. She's too little to know better (only 2 months old). So, now that you'll be a stay at home mom you, too, can start bathing cats in your spare time. Ha, ha! :)As if stay at home moms have spare time!


Missy

For the moment, my blog has turned into a gratitude journal!


Clickety-click over here to find out the Secret! This fabulous site features new blogs every day!