Sunday, September 14, 2008

What's Cookin'?

I need structure. Would any of you have guessed that? I don't loooove structure, but it is truly necessary for me to function. I would prefer to fly by the seat of my pants more often, but the responsibilities that I currently juggle simply don't allow for it.

This need for structure also includes my blogging. Sure, there are some days that I just post pics of Hania, or talk about what we've been up to, and you can count on Freak Flag Fridays (which at one sick story per week, I can keep that segment up for at LEAST 3 years...), but generally I would like to count on a few set topics that might interest a number of the folks that visit.

So Sunday will officially be the day I post about the menu that I have planned for the week. I enjoy cooking, love trying new recipes, and try to balance healthy foods with a few splurges . Hopefully this may give someone another idea for dinner one night, with the added bonus of being able to answer my mother's eternal question that she always asked every day after school: "Who did you sit with? What did you eat? What did you learn?"

If the recipe is online I will link to it, or if it is particularly good I will write it out.
A little caveat: I try to make healthier choices when possible (light butter, low-fat cheese, low sodium versions of products, some organics, and attempt to use fewer processed foods).

What's Cookin' This Week?

Lemon, Rosemary, & Balsamic Grilled Chicken Thighs
Corn on the cob
Green salad

Chili-Roasted Cod
Carrot Coins with Maple-Balsamic Butter (go light on the butter)
Garlic cheese grits

Shrimp and Wild Rice Casserole
Green salad

Blackened Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo (yep, a splurge)
Oven roasted green beans w/ olive oil, salt & pepper

Grilled Tuna with Rain Forest Glaze
Sweet potato
Sugar snap peas



9 comments:

SouthernDogwoods said...

Wow! Can I come over & eat? What a menu! We love Paula Deen's Shrimp & Wild Rice Casserole! It is the best!

Jen said...

what a good idea! I like trying new recipes too and how organized to have it all planned out.
I am going to look forward to this feature too.

WheresMyAngels said...

Well seeing as I don't hardly ever cook,even though I belong to a recipe blog (course I have never posted on it yet), I'll have to stick with your Freak Flag Friday!! lol

Now if you want to discuss places you eat out at and what you like, I'll be here for that one, since I can relate! I just need to move into a home that has a big kitchem, my is too small to cook in. I do love to cook, just never do.

Kimberly said...

Mmmm! Can I come eat at your house? I have too much "easy" food at my house these days because cooking is pretty much a novelty around here. It makes me so sad because, you know, I love to cook. I just don't have the time. I'm trying to get into healthier eating patterns but its so hard! Anyway, your meals sound delish...as always!

Blog Stalker said...

great recipes. i know I am going to try at least two of them!

Structure Rawks! Except when it gets in the way of my spontaneousness! lol

Scott, Victoria, Hannah and Caleb said...

My tummy is rumbling!

Debbie said...

I like trying new things but everyone in my house is so picky.. But I think I might just print out your menu and use it. I'll let you do all the work for me...That whole menu sounds delicious...

And I had to laugh at the comment you made about your mom grilling you after school because , seriously, that's what I do with my daughter...every day. I'm nosey like that!

Sleepless Sabra said...

Ok, I'm SO coming to your house for dinner!

The Beauty Bargainista said...

ok, so you have to tell me how the grilled tuna was? I have a steak of tuna in my freezer that I need to do something with, and this sounds delish!:)


Missy

For the moment, my blog has turned into a gratitude journal!


Clickety-click over here to find out the Secret! This fabulous site features new blogs every day!