Monday, September 15, 2008

Um, that was interesting

The winds from Hurricane Ike affected us all the way up in Kentucky. On Sunday we had strong wind gusts for about 3 hours. They weren't THAT strong - I was still able to play frisbee with K-dog and take Hania outside in the wagon, but apparently strong enough to knock out power for over half of the state's population. Not even a drop of rain.

Our power was only off from 1pm Sunday to 7pm Monday, which isn't too bad considering that the official statement was that it would take "between 2 and 14 days" for full power to be restored in the metro area.

So the worst we fared was a little maneuvering with candles, and some lost dairy products. Not too bad considering what situations so many others are dealing with. It is interesting how quickly your thoughts turn to "emergency mode", when you think that you might not have power for two weeks. Thankfully we didn't have to put any of the plans to use. In case you are wondering, we took a family vote and we chose NOT to eat Keira. (:

This evening we had an impromptu neighborhood picnic after one of our dear neighbors (who is a chef at a large hotel) dropped by a ton of food to grill. It was a thoughtful little food drop, after only 24 hours without electricity! Everyone pitched in any food that was going to go bad overnight and we had a feast.

Tonight, I am thankful for good neighbors, a patient baby, prompt utility crews...and the impending use of my flat iron tomorrow morning. Amen.

9 comments:

Kimberly said...

Missy...first of all, I'm super impressed with your continuous updates these days! I wish I had more to put down...
I'm so glad your power wasn't out for long. I haven't even spoken with my parents...I wonder what theirs was like. It can be so different from your side of Louisville to theirs.
I am grateful for lots of things...mostly right now that you and the other people I love aren't even a smidgen closer to that hurricane!

WheresMyAngels said...

Glad there was no major damage, we had some flooding (I posted about) but the wind wasn't bad.

Sounds like a fun neighborhood.

Jen said...

WE were with out power too up here in MI. That was one powerful storm. I can't imagine what it was like on the coast. It just makes me thankful.
That is really cool one of your neighbors is a chef. I am just imagine the food. Yum!

Kimba said...

Glad you're all OK. We got serious wind up here in western PA too. There are still lots of people without power.

I laughed out loud when I read your comment about cleaning out the stores after Halloween. It's probably a good thing we don't live in the same town or we might be rumbling over some faux pumpkins. ;-)

Debbie said...

WOW! I can't beleive how far reaching that storm was. I had no idea it hit you all in KY all the way up to PA! Glad you are okay and that Hania coooperated!

amy7252 said...

Hey, happy last day of work!!

amy7252 said...

In ... withdrawal. Missing ... freak-flag ... Friday! Need ... addiction ... fed .......

Sherri said...

We have never gone without power from more than about 5 hours. I don't even know what we would do. I guess I better make a "plan" for the just in case.

Debbie said...

Where are you??? Did you stop working yet???


Missy

For the moment, my blog has turned into a gratitude journal!


Clickety-click over here to find out the Secret! This fabulous site features new blogs every day!