Friday, August 1, 2008

Procrastinator Alert! #50-100

Um...remember a loooong time ago when I started to post my "100 things about me" to celebrate my 100th post? And only did 50 because it was way more challenging that I imagined? Not to mention the fact that it made me feel self-absorbed, which does not help the whole Mommy guilt factor...

Without further intro, here are #50-100: Things you never knew about me, and still aren't sure you want to know!
50. I have a small tattoo of a 4-leaf clover and the Notre Dame symbol on my hip.
51. 2 of my other girlfriends also have the exact same tattoo, courtesy of Spring Break 1999. Woohoo!
52. I wonder if theirs is faded and blurry, and looks like a prison tattoo like mine?
53. Working in the emergency room was by far the most entertaining position I've ever held. ER doctors were total pervs, but it sure made the nights pass quickly.
54. My tiny hometown in Missouri hosted the Miss Missouri pageant every year. I was always alternately envious and horrified at that competition.
55. Top 5 CD's I could listen to on repeat:
Indigo Girls "Swamp Ophelia"
56.
Buena Vista Social Club's self titled album
57.
Natalie Merchant "Tigerlily"
58.
Marc Cohn's self titled 1st album
59. Smashing Pumpkins "Pisces Iscariot"
60. My daughter's face peering over the rail of her crib every morning is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.
61. I adore Project Runway but I'm no fashion icon in my Gap outlet t-shirt and shorts today.
62. I adore Tim Gunn and about hugged him through the tv when he said "Holla!" on the last episode. Can he really be that adorable in person?
63. I can be extremely compassionate and giving, but have a low tolerance for unnecessary drama and BS.
64. Having to depend on someone else for ANYTHING makes my skin crawl. I dislike it immensely. Which makes marriage a bit of a challenge.
65. Which links directly to my inability to delegate.
66. Which links directly to my job burnout. More on that after Sept 19th - aka "Day of Long-Awaited Freedom but also Poverty".
67. I believe that human sexuality is a continuum between straight and gay. Some folks are reeeeally straight, and some reeeeeally gay, and everything in-between. No hidden message there about me personally, just my belief.
68. We have a fairly small family; I'm an only and my husband is the oldest of 2.
69. Yes, I was spoiled as a child but at least I was appreciative most of the time.
70. I played the Frontline Fairy for all 5 of our animals last night, and only have 1 scratch to show for it.
71. I used to be a voracious reader, but since grad school I've only read a handful of books.
72. Some of this is a result of time constraints, but mainly it is because I become overly emotional when I truly get into a story.
73. For example - on vacation in Jamaica I read The Time Traveler's Wife and cried because it was so sad and beautiful - for 2 straight days. Blah!
74. Most recent ballsy thing I've done: pulled a tick out of my infant daughter's scalp.
75. During the next month I have SEVEN pot-lucks to participate in. If that doesn't say "suburbia" I don't know what does!
76. I always seem to gain weight quickly in the summer and lose it around Thanksgiving, every year. Isn't that backwards?
77. The smell of gasoline reminds me of Twix candy bars. Always has.
78. I've mowed grass exactly 7 times in my entire life.
79. I was almost arrested for public nudity on a spring break trip in Cancun...but I ran. Really fast. And hid from the cops.
80. And then studied super super hard the 2nd half of that semester and pulled out my best grades ever, because I felt so guilty about that incident.
81. I would DIE if my daughter ever did that!
82. Taking a hike or bike ride helps me to feel closer to God than participating in any church service ever has. But I still attend church hoping this will change.
83.
Arrested Development is my all-time favorite sitcom and we still watch it on dvd after it was canceled. Why are all the smart shows canceled?
84. I really, really want to have a garden in our backyard and grow most of our own produce. Hope to start the process next Spring.
85. We simply do not talk politics on our house, for the sake of our relationship.
86. I wore hot pink shoes on my wedding day, and Hania had red shoes for her baptism.
87. I just purchased 10 new pairs of
cheap undies and it MADE. MY. WEEK. It's the little things, folks, really. Cheap as in inexpensive, not cheap as in hooker-ish.
88. I love baking theme cakes with shapes, and can't wait to do one for Hania's birthday. My favorite was a pair of
flip-flops for friends that were moving to Florida.
89. You almost have to sedate me to shape my fingernails with a file. Which is why I've only had 2 manicures in my entire life, and probably never again!
90. I have Aveda taste in hair products, living on a Pantene budget.
91. I feel passionate about youth participating in service projects. This was an integral part of my development, and I would like to create opportunities for them to have a similar experience.
92. Except the experience teaching summer school in Newark, New Jersey. I'll just tell them about that one! They shouldn't have to do it. It wasn't pretty.
93. One of my biggest fears is that my daughter will grow up somewhere that is not culturally diverse.
94. One time in 6th grade I went to a guy's birthday party and gave him the single " I Wanna Sex You Up" by Color Me Badd. I didn't wanna sex him up, I just thought it was funny. My mother obviously didn't catch that one. His family was Pentecostal. Obviously I wasn't invited back. I still cringe thinking about that - seriously!
95. I watched a lot of MTV as a kid, and now when I hear 80's songs I see the videos in my head. And then I describe them to my husband, who didn't watch MTV. My mom was pretty hip, and videos weren't as racy as they are today.
96. I distinctly remember my mom dancing to the video for "Peace Train", and thinking she was so very cool because she could move her hips that like (in our family room with red shag carpet - doesn't that just paint a visual?)
97. I love National Geographic, partly because it is an amazing publication, but mainly because it reminds me of my Dad, who has had a subscription since the 70's. I feel like I'm carrying on a family tradition of sorts.
98. My car has not been washed in over a year. Shameful.
99. But the baby gets a bath every night, I assure you!
100. So very happy to be done with this procrastination post! Grateful to anyone that has stuck with me for the last 50!

18 comments:

Jess NBP said...

WOW that's a long list.

you've been nominated
http://ruggratsx2.blogspot.com/2008/08/ive-got-one-from-dette-and-leah.html

Jen said...

I am so glad that you followed through and finished. My car has not been washed in I don't know how long, but my kids too get cleaned every single night.

Caroline said...

How fun to get to know you better. And who knew your hubs was from G'boro - home of the atomic hot-dog from Yum-Yum. The redhead hasn't experienced Yum-Yum yet, but trust me, some day he will. Of that I am sure. I feel you on the whole car not being washed. I think its been longer than a year for mine. It has mold on it. Yuck. I feel dirty driving it.

amy7252 said...

Ohhh, so many comments to make...

"My tiny hometown in Missouri hosted the Miss Missouri pageant every year. I was always alternately envious and horrified at that competition."

I was always amazed that you never competed. I secretly wanted to, but I had no stage-worthy talent. Sigh. What could have been! Ha ha!

"I adore Project Runway but I'm no fashion icon in my Gap outlet t-shirt and shorts today."

Ditto. This is the one reason I wish we still had cable.

"I adore Tim Gunn and about hugged him through the tv when he said "Holla!""

OMG, DYING to see that! I love Tim, too. Make it work, baby, make it work.

"I used to be a voracious reader, but since grad school I've only read a handful of books."

Me, too! Grad school killed my love of reading.

"For example - on vacation in Jamaica I read The Time Traveler's Wife and cried because it was so sad and beautiful - for 2 straight days. Blah!"

Don't read "Marley and Me." I read that while pregnant and cried harder than Elle has ever even thought about.

"I've mowed grass exactly 7 times in my entire life."

That's 7 more times than I have. Gotta love allergies. And older brothers.

"One time in 6th grade I went to a guy's birthday party and gave him the single " I Wanna Sex You Up" by Color Me Badd."

OK, I'm totally trying to figure out who this is. Can I get a hint? Initials, maybe?

"I watched a lot of MTV as a kid, and now when I hear 80's songs I see the videos in my head. And then I describe them to my husband, who didn't watch MTV. My mom was pretty hip, and videos weren't as racy as they are today."

I wasn't allowed, but one day, when my parents weren't home, I decided to take a quick look. The second I hit the channel, the entire screen was filled with naked butt cheeks. I freaked out, realizing that it in fact WAS an evil channel, and it took me years to even surf past again. Ha ha!

BTW, loved the public nakedness story and your self-imposed penance. Awesome.

wendy said...

OMG, I cried and cried after Time Traveler's wife and The Husband just looked at me as though I was crazy. It was so very sad, though.

Thanks for finishing! :)

Adelaine said...

Wow - I'm so amazed that you could come up with 100 things!! I don't know if i could come up with 20!!

I've enjoyed getting to know a bit about you!

Byerly grandparents said...

Hi Sweetie,
Enjoyed your comments. I can really say that Dad and I knew most of them - only a couple were total revelations to your fam.

#69 Spoiled - Yes, you were spoiled by the amount of things we gave you; but you were one of the kindest, most generous kids I have ever seen. We would often see you giving your things to other kids.

#77 TWIX bar - This was a revelation. Where does this come from???

#79 Cancun - Yes, we knew about this episode. You always have been good with "overshare". Thank goodness we didn't know at the time it happened!!!

#80 Grades - We can verify this is a fact - just didn't realize the full motivation.

#94 B'day gift - This was a revelation. How did you slip this one by us? Who was the friend - GB?

#96 MTV - The way you danced, how could we have kept you from MTV? Besides, it wasn't so racy back then. You danced worn spots in the family room carpets of two houses.

Love you girl! M & D

Anonymous said...

Missy-

I love reading your blog. It's fun to catch up and hear your stories and reminisce about the good ole' hometown.

BTW, I too have an aversion to nail filing. It gives me that pre-vomit mouth watering sensation. I can't even stand to be around someone else filing their nails.

Also, somewhere along the line I read your entry about the teenage mother and the burrito. I passed this along to my husband, who refuses to believe someone could be that stupid. I have assured him you would not lie! :)

Sleepless Sabra said...

I, too, LOVE Arrested Development. It's so funny I laugh till I cry. I think I'll have to order it on DVD through Netflix. My favorite part? Where the mom showed up late to an event and the son said to her...
son: Mom, where have you been?
Mom: Well, I walked into the kitchen and there was a colored man in there - so I knocked him out with a (I forget what she used, some heavy object).
son: What color was he?
Mom: Blue.

It was the weird brother-in-law that wanted to be part of The Blue Man Group. I once tried to relay the hilarity of that scene to my brother-in-law who stared at me like I was a moron for thinking it was funny. I'm just smarter than him. :)

I also have never been able to stand having my nails filed. It makes my spine cringe. It's awful.

Enjoyed the 100!

Jennifer P. said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I remember reading here on your SITS day, and your coffee cup seems to travel in my same blogging circle.

Sounds like you have had some CRAZY adventures girl---and I love that you already recognize the fact that you'll be driven crazy if your daughter does some of the things you did ;)! She looks so sweet I'm sure she'll spend her college years volunteering in orphanages instead of in Cancun!

Wishing you all the best!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about you car not getting washed. It never fails, when my car is clean it rains the next day. I live in the desert and it hardly ever rains here. Go figure.

WheresMyAngels said...

Did my comment get eaten?

Debbie said...

You had me at Swamp Ophelia sister. Love that CD...Still do.
And about #82: Faith isn't about religion or church...it's about the relationship. You ARE closer to God when you are talking to HIm directly and enjoying His creation on a hike or a bike ride. And you knew I was going to say that didn't you ;) I love love love your list.

Unknown said...

I wub Tim Gunn... I want him to come over for dinner....

My kids don't gets baths every night....

~Trish~ said...

Stumbled across your blog from SITS, so glad I did! What a cool idea to do, I missed my 50 so I guess I'll have to make up for it when I hit 100 and post my interesting tid bits :)

FarmGirl said...

As always, you crack me up...makes me wish we had "known" each other better in school!! I love checking your blog...your sense of humor gets me everytime! I will never forget when I was allowed to watch MTV--no biggie, right? WRONG! My mom had a FIT when I was walking around the house singing "Like a Virgin" So sad...MTV was a naughty thing I would "sneak" when no one was looking! I have really enjoyed this post!

Ivanna said...

Numbers 79 to 81 made me laugh so hard! Ah college! Are you going to any football games this fall?

Kim said...

Having been in the Miss Missouri pageant, I can, indeed, confirm that it was horrifying. :)


Missy

For the moment, my blog has turned into a gratitude journal!


Clickety-click over here to find out the Secret! This fabulous site features new blogs every day!