Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Maxi-mize your shopping experience

Just a little story to make you laugh on a Friday. Let's set the scene:
Our weekend was so busy that I didn't get to the weekly grocery shopping, so we did it on Monday evening after work. Luckily, Hania is an excellent shopper and loves to ride along. She is obsessed with my paper shopping list, so I usually give her an extra piece of paper to play with and all is right with the world.

On this particular day, I had grabbed my favorite huge faux Coach bag that looks cute and summery. It is big enough to double as a diaper bag, and spills won't be a tragedy because it isn't the real deal. Here's an important detail that will play into the story later: I haven't used this purse since I was in the hospital for Hania's birth. I promise, it IS important.

As we stroll through the produce section I hear Hania cackling. Yes, this child cackles, she doesn't laugh. I turn around to find her bouncing and waving at a man that I shall henceforth refer to as "Mr. Mullet". Now Mr. Mullet is rockin' out in true 80's style while selecting his corn on the cob. He has spared no detail in recreating the look of that decade, down to the painted-on acid washed denim and concert t-shirt with the sleeves and collar ripped off. Hey, who am I to judge? Mr. Mullet sees me trying to reach a produce bag, and in gentlemanly fashion he pulls one down for me. Which is nice, but isn't there a rule out there about accepting favors from men with mullets? I think there is. I say thanks, Hania continues to wave at him, and we're on our way again.

Several aisles later, I hear Hania cackling again. Yep, you guessed it. Mr. Mullet is making cutesy baby faces at her, sticking out his tongue, bobbing his head. Hania has this effect on strangers, it seems. She thinks this is a riot. Mr. Mullet smiles winningly at me and winks saying "your little girl likes me". I smile back, but not too big. I'm not trying to encourage Mullet-love. And I'm hoping this isn't a pre-cursor to Hania's future taste in men.

In the dairy section Mr. Mullet appears yet again, and I try to pretend that I don't see Hania performing "so big" by raising her arms in the air. Oh no, he's trying to catch my eye. Hania, please stop engaging Mr. Mullet. See, you already have a da-da at home, and you never know if there is a MRS. Mullet around the corner waiting to kick the butt of any little mullet-magnet who is flirting with her man. Still my head is down, no eye contact, pretending I don't notice.

Then I hear the crinkling of paper. Hania is apparently playing with something in my purse. Still not looking...still not looking...don't encourage him... SPLAT! Something hits the floor. I look over to see that Hania has thrown the object from my purse into the middle of the aisle, and Mr. Mullet is dashing over to pick it up. Oh well, probably just some sticky notes or keys. I look over just in time to see what Mr. Mullet is handing back to me with a smile. It is one of those humongous post-partum maxi pads that the hospital gives you after you give birth! These are the ones that weigh 10 lbs and look like a diaper. Yeah, we're not bringing sexy back with that contraption. Apparently I left one of those bad boys in my purse, and forgot about it because I hadn't used the purse since my hospital stay. Thankfully, Mr. Mullet had no idea what he was handing to me, so I just graciously accepted it and then died laughing.

Hania thought it was a funny joke too. She had on a wicked little smile, similar to this one...

21 comments:

amy7252 said...

Priceless story. Simply priceless.

Byerly grandparents said...

What a riot! We are still laughing even thinking about this! I think payback for all the antics you pulled as a child is just starting.
Love, Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

I can totally picture this happening! I'm glad the guy didn't recognize it and put you through a weird, awkward moment!

I think I've flashed the pad in my purse to almost every cashier since I gave birth. I never have time to empty my purse and take that stupid bright yellow pad out of there!

Anonymous said...

Well, it's easy to see how she could charm Mr.Mullet into entertaining her! What a little cutie!

Scott, Victoria, Hannah and Caleb said...

I would be mortified!

Anonymous said...

OOhhhhhhhhhh, those embarassing moments, gotta laugh or cry, I pretty much always laugh!

Sleepless Sabra said...

THAT was hilarious. At least there weren't a pair of those attractive mesh underpants along with it. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi! I saw you on Blog around the world. This story was so funny and your daughter is adorable. Looks like she is at a fun age.

-- Brandi

Unknown said...

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that you and me are two out of the three Kentucky bloggers over at Blog Around the World. Go Kentucky!

Unknown said...

Oh my GOSH you gotta love it!!! She's gonna be the kind to make you do the sex talk naked, I can FEEEEEEL it!

Sherri said...

AHHHH That's too funny!!! and VERY embarrassing!!!

Unknown said...

Haha! Love it! I love how kids can make us laugh at ourselves... even in the awkward moments. :)

Jess NBP said...

HI Miss KY number 3!! LOL That was awesome to see you there.

Love that picture of lil hania!
Jessica
MomDot Street Team

Jen said...

I know its been a while but I still think that you are an awesome blogger and I have left you an award or 2. Come and see.

Anonymous said...

too funny. I would have died of embarrassment and the color of my cheeks would have totally given it away!

Caroline said...

Why have I not read this until now! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - that is freakin' awesome! Before having my redhead and having everyone stare at my nether regions for hours on end, that would have put me in the grave (death by embarrassment), but now, I would have had the same reaction you did! That is GREAT!

Kimberly said...

Missy...you pretty much kill me! You are so dang funny! Little Miss Hania is so dang cute...you two are a dynamic duo. Especially in the grocery store...around men with mullets...LOL! I miss you guys so much! I hope you are doing ok. Are you counting down the days? :)

Unknown said...

Hey girly - everything okay??

FarmGirl said...

Too dang funny! What do people think...that mullets is so fashion forward. I don't have much fashion sense, but I just don't get it...not the mullet, not the teased bangs of the 80's. It confuses me and makes me want to give them money to fix the problem. Anywho...I got tagged for something and became so exasperated with the whole thing, that I got lazy at the end and declared all on my blog roll as officially being tagged. If you want to spare yourself from the torture, I understand...I myself wish I had refrained from the temptation....ahhhh. See ya soon..and again, you crack my ass up!!

Jess NBP said...

OH she's a cutie. LOL :)

I have something for you on my blog.

Jessica
MomDot Street Team

Sherri said...

Missy --- where are you??? I hope everything is okay!!


Missy

For the moment, my blog has turned into a gratitude journal!


Clickety-click over here to find out the Secret! This fabulous site features new blogs every day!