Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Working girls





When we started this blog I basically resolved NOT to write about work for 2 reasons: 1) as a social worker in foster care it involves a lot of confidential stuff, and you just never know who is reading the blog (didn't you know that everyone in Kentucky is related?) 2) I don't have very nice things to say about my current company/office, and I would prefer that the blog is a relatively positive forum. But lately everyone has been asking me how it is going taking Hania to work every day. So I say "oh, just lovely, I'm so darn lucky to be able to take her in, we just laugh and play and have a grand ol' time." But the reality is that it is quite challenging, especially for someone who is used to being an overachiever and working her butt off. For those who don't know, our company allows us to bring our baby in daily for up to 6 months. Especially cool because they just did away with the policy so I barely made the cut! Hania and I went back to work when she was 6 wks old and we have turned my office into a nursery. I AM grateful to be able to keep her out of a daycare setting, especially considering that it is winter flu season.

Until I take the time to figure out how to put pictures exactly where I want them, I'll just describe them and you can easily tell which ones go together.
Hania has a nice set up, including a pack & play, a bouncy seat, loads of toys, etc. Johnny is awesome for downloading classical music and nursery rhymes for us to play on the cd player. She also hears a lot of Indigo Girls, the soundtrack to Garden State and Poison's greatest hits. What can I say...she has eclectic taste in music!
A lot of the time she ends up balanced on my lap while I type or talk w/ irate foster parents. The pic of her on my lap was taken today.
My co-worker and friend Monique, with her baby Arial. Arial is 2 months older than Hania and she also spends the day at the office. She is such a joyful baby; her mama says she is nosy, because she's unable to sleep when someone comes in her office to visit. Hopefully they will be able to roll around together and play in a couple months. Kim is holding Hania for the first time.
Funny story: Monique and I are both still breastfeeding, which involves using the breast pump at work. It's easy to be discreet b/c I have a private office. It took a day or two for everyone to get used to knocking and not having immediate access to my office (and my ear), but it is going well. We have only one male in the office, and he has started to use our inner-office intercom system to call me, rather than knocking on my door. I will answer the phone, even if I'm pumping (hooray for multi-tasking!). Recently we were talking and he stopped short and said "oh no, I hear it, you're using the pump! aaaah!" and hung up. So now when he calls over he immediately asks "are you draining?" Draining? Seriously? Dear Lord...


No comments:


Missy

For the moment, my blog has turned into a gratitude journal!


Clickety-click over here to find out the Secret! This fabulous site features new blogs every day!