Sunday, January 20, 2008

Keira 11 - Dog Mama 0


For those of you who have not visited our home in the past 4 yrs, I'd like to introduce you to Keira. She was a wedding gift. Yes, yes, I know that you are not supposed to give and/or accept pets as gifts, but it's a long story. And Johnny really wanted a German Shepherd. We just didn't factor in how this breed would work with our busy lifestyle. She is a "herding breed" (ie shep-HERD) and she loves to stay extremely busy, or she begins to destroy things and wreak havoc. Keira is notorious in our neighborhood for this behavior. When anyone (human, canine, vehicle) goes by the house she goes berserk, which has resulted in many replacement blinds, and eventually some customized shutters that are now hanging in broken pieces from one of her wild outbursts. BUT on the upside, she is a very loving and loyal animal, which is the only thing that has saved her from being turned out many many years ago! Not to mention the fact that our 2 youngest kittens think that she is the bee's knees and follow her everywhere.

Normally Johnny and I are both take turns exercising her, but since he's been out of town she is not getting the attention that she normally needs. So... the final straw came Friday when I discovered that she had eaten 11 pieces of Hania's clothing out of the laundry bin. Really nice items...things that I would have liked to give to a younger sibling, or have her save for her children... For some reason that was it. Now she's done MUCH worse in the past, but I knew that I couldn't take it anymore. So Keira went to the kennel from Fri-Mon. It is a very nice place that she enjoys going to. The best part is that when she returns she is exhausted from playing with the other dogs. I felt guilty for oh, like 5 whole minutes. But when I came back to a quiet home with ONLY 4 cats and a baby it was incredibly nice.

I'm sure this is not the last blog post about Keira's antics. In the meantime, does anyone want a doggy visitor for a couple of days?

4 comments:

Sleepless Sabra said...

Missy, I just found your blog through a link on Kim's blog. Your little girl is beautiful, I'm so excited for you guys! You'll have to visit our blog at www.sleeplesssabra.blogspot.com so I can show off pictures of my cute kids, too!

Sabra

amy7252 said...

OMG, Keira and my dog, Didge, must be related. Colin went out of town for a conference, and I had the EXACT same experience that you did, down to dumping his @$$ in the kennel after 24 hours alone. Ha ha!

Glad you have a blog and ventured over to mine to let me know! It will be fun to watch each other's little girls grow up.

Kim said...

I can't imagine! Thank God Harli is a small dog! I can only imagine the potential damage she could do if she were bigger. She is so energetic, but luckily too small to wreak that much havoc! :)

Krafty Kat said...

Too bad I didn't get to hear about this Keira incident over the intercom!


Missy

For the moment, my blog has turned into a gratitude journal!


Clickety-click over here to find out the Secret! This fabulous site features new blogs every day!