Sunday, March 16, 2008

Palm Sunday and the Ides of March



Well, we've dressed Hania up for a bit chilly Palm Sunday. She looked so lovely in the Springtime outfit that Grandma Schmonsees gave her. We took some pictures as soon as we got home from church, as Hania seemed to still have some good smiles left in her before nap time.

This was a big week for Hania for another reason, as well: she started eating vegetables! We started her on peas this past Wednesday, and she actually really liked them! What a relief. Here are some great shots of her enjoying this delightful new dish.

This is all a great lead-in for her big adventure that starts tomorrow (Monday). She'll get on the big plane and head south for a visit with Grandma and Grandpa Byerly in Texarkana. They've got loads of wonderful things planned for the little one on her first Spring Break! What a great time she'll have. Mommy has been working on everything necessary to make it a smooth trip down there. There is a lot of planning involved when you take a young infant on a big trip like that, especially when you haven't done it before. Just getting through the airport system is the biggest hurdle, I think.

Yesterday was the 15th of March. This was the 227th anniversary of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse. I grew up in Greensboro, NC, and spent a lot of time learning about that battle. When I was in high school, I learned what it meant to the overall situation in the Revolutionary War and North Carolina. Greensboro, for instance, is one of several cities named after the American commander in the battle, Nathaniel Greene (a new statue of him will be unveiled on March 26th!).

Later at West Point, I learned about the importance of the leaders on both sides, and the decisions that they made. I also learned about how important some of the tactics were, and what the impact was to the rest of the conflict. I think that we forget about how important the people and the conflict were to what we are as a country today. I heard a Civil War historian say recently that the Revolutionary War generation was considered the "Greatest Generation" by those that fought in the War Between the States. If you want to learn more about the Battle of Guilford Courthouse in a short, easy-to-read book that will, if you have any interest in this subject matter whatsoever, inspire you learn more about that war and the period it was fought in, click on this link: Another Such Victory.

I'm going to try to cover some of the Revolutionary War history that I find very interesting and relevant as we go through the year. I'll include pictures and links as I can find good ones.

Missy will be posting more this week as she and Hania start their Crosby/Hope-style road trip. We are really looking forward to seeing it all.

3 comments:

Schmonsees grandparents said...

What a precious little one with whom to celebrate the full meaning of Palm Sunday! The designers of that ourfit never dreamed it could be so spectacular as it is on sweet Hania.

Love the add for pureed peas! The quick little shiver to show just how much she likes the soft green stuff gave us pure delight!!

Sleepless Sabra said...

Missy, I didn't know your parents were down there. Bryan and I drove down to Tyler, TX over New Year's to go to see the Mizzou Tigers play at the Cotton Bowl. I was driving that leg of the trip and Bryan was sleeping. I was slap-happy at that point and got really cracked up at some of the town names we were driving through. I knew about Texarkana (and that name makes sense to me) - but Arkadelphia? Seriously? Ha! Hope you guys have a great time!

Arial said...

Hey Ivory, You look awesome in your Palm Sunday dress. I wore a pretty dress too, but my lazy mom didn't take my pics.

Oh well, I will miss you this week. Make sure that you email me and let me know your alright.

Your co-worker, Gummy Gums!


Missy

For the moment, my blog has turned into a gratitude journal!


Clickety-click over here to find out the Secret! This fabulous site features new blogs every day!